Saturday, September 13, 2008

Squares, squares, everywhere

In May I started my job at the daycare. I don't drive, so it was a bus ride to and from work every day. Somtime in late may or early June I started a bus project. Granny squares.

The basic granny square is so simple and easy, yet there is so much you can do with it! Variations on the colors you are using, plus sooo many variations on how you can make it. (Some of them much less simple.) And they can also be put together to make anything from afghans and scarves to bags and hats and sweaters. I am making an afghan.

I love the book "200 Crochet Blocks" by Jan Eaton - it has some really neat varieties of squares, in all levels of difficulty.

But, anyway... These squares that I am making are all the basic granny square design, using a variety of colors.

blahblah 009

I chose granny squares mostly for their portability. You only need to bring one ball of yarn and your crochet hook and you're ready to go... No lugging around the entire afghan. It's a project that can fit right in your purse and go anywhere with you. Ideal for something you're carrying on the bus every day.
At night I empty the completed squares into a bag in my apartment, switch out the balls of yarn in my bag, and I'm ready to go for the next day.

blahblah 010

I'm up to about 160 squares, which is probably about a third of the total I plan to make for this blanket. (I want a big snuggly blanket!!) And I've lost my crochet hook. It is an "I" hook, which is not one I usually use, and... I only had one of them. So until I get a chance to go buy a new one I am unable to keep making squares. At this rate the blanket won't be ready until next summer!

blahblah 005

No comments: